Announcing the winners of the RhymeZone Poetry Prize!
Definitions of recognition:
- noun: designation by the chair granting a person the right to speak in a deliberative body
Example: "He was unable to make his motion because he couldn't get recognition by the chairman"
- noun: the process of recognizing something or someone by remembering
Example: "A politician whose recall of names was as remarkable as his recognition of faces"
- noun: an acceptance (as of a claim) as true and valid
Example: "The recognition of the Rio Grande as a boundary between Mexico and the United States"
- noun: approval
Example: "Give her recognition for trying"
- noun: the explicit and formal acknowledgement of a government or of the national independence of a country
Example: "Territorial disputes were resolved in Guatemala's recognition of Belize in 1991"
- noun: (biology) the ability of one molecule to attach to another molecule that has a complementary shape
Example: "Molecular recognition drives all of biology, for instance, hormone and receptor or antibody-antigen interactions or the organization of molecules into larger biologically active entities"
- noun: the state or quality of being recognized or acknowledged
Example: "The partners were delighted with the recognition of their work"
- noun: coming to understand something clearly and distinctly
Example: "A sudden recognition of the problem he faced"
Search for recognition at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Copyright © 2015 Datamuse