Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of reason:
- noun: the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination
Example: "We are told that man is endowed with reason and capable of distinguishing good from evil"
- noun: a fact that logically justifies some premise or conclusion
Example: "There is reason to believe he is lying"
- noun: an explanation of the cause of some phenomenon
Example: "The reason a steady state was never reached was that the back pressure built up too slowly"
- noun: a rational motive for a belief or action
Example: "The reason that war was declared"
- noun: a justification for something existing or happening
Example: "They had good reason to rejoice"
- noun: the state of having good sense and sound judgment
Example: "He had to rely less on reason than on rousing their emotions"
- verb: think logically
Example: "The children must learn to reason"
- verb: decide by reasoning; draw or come to a conclusion
Example: "We reasoned that it was cheaper to rent than to buy a house"
- verb: present reasons and arguments
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #8996)
Search for reason at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse