Synonyms / Related
Definitions of rail:
- noun: any of numerous widely distributed small wading birds of the family Rallidae having short wings and very long toes for running on soft mud
- noun: a horizontal bar (usually of wood)
- noun: short for railway
Example: "He traveled by rail"
- noun: a barrier consisting of a horizontal bar and supports
- noun: a bar or bars of rolled steel making a track along which vehicles can roll
- verb: provide with rails
Example: "The yard was railed"
- verb: enclose with rails
Example: "Rail in the old graves"
- verb: complain bitterly
- verb: fish with a hand-line over the rails of a boat
Example: "They are railing for fresh fish"
- verb: lay with rails
Example: "Hundreds of miles were railed out here"
- verb: convey (goods etc.) by rails
Example: "Fresh fruit are railed from Italy to Belgium"
- verb: separate with a railing
Example: "Rail off the crowds from the Presidential palace"
- verb: criticize severely
Example: "She railed against the bad social policies"
- verb: travel by rail or train
Example: "They railed from Rome to Venice"
- verb: spread negative information about
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #34929)
Search for rail at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse