Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of rack:
- noun: a rapid gait of a horse in which each foot strikes the ground separately
- noun: a support for displaying various articles
Example: "The newspapers were arranged on a rack"
- noun: framework for holding objects
- noun: an instrument of torture that stretches or disjoints or mutilates victims
- noun: rib section of a forequarter of veal or pork or especially lamb or mutton
- noun: the destruction or collapse of something
Example: "Wrack and ruin"
- verb: put on a rack and pinion
Example: "Rack a camera"
- verb: torture on the rack
- verb: seize together, as of parallel ropes of a tackle in order to prevent running through the block
- verb: work on a rack
Example: "Rack leather"
- verb: stretch to the limits
Example: "Rack one's brains"
- verb: draw off from the lees
Example: "Rack wine"
- verb: fly in high wind
- verb: run before a gale
- verb: go at a rack
- verb: obtain by coercion or intimidation
- verb: torment emotionally or mentally
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #42421)
Search for rack at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse