Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of quiet:
- noun: a disposition free from stress or emotion
- noun: the absence of sound
Example: "The street was quiet"
- noun: an untroubled state; free from disturbances
- noun: a period of calm weather
- verb: become quiet or quieter
- verb: make calm or still
Example: "Quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
- adjective: not showy or obtrusive
Example: "Clothes in quiet good taste"
- adjective: free of noise or uproar; or making little if any sound
Example: "A quiet audience at the concert"
- adjective: characterized by an absence or near absence of agitation or activity
Example: "A quiet life"
- adjective: of the sun; characterized by a low level of surface phenomena like sun spots e.g.
- adjective: free from disturbance
Example: "The quiet waters of a lagoon"
- adjective: without untoward incident or disruption
Example: "Quiet times"
- adjective: in a softened tone
Example: "A quiet reprimand"
- adverb: with little or no activity or no agitation (`quiet' is a nonstandard variant for `quietly')
Example: "Her hands rested quietly in her lap"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #42425)
Search for quiet at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse