Synonyms / Related
Definitions of queen:
- noun: the only fertile female in a colony of social insects such as bees and ants and termites; its function is to lay eggs
- noun: especially large and only member of a colony of naked mole rats to bear offspring sired by only a few males
- noun: (chess) the most powerful piece
- noun: one of four face cards in a deck bearing a picture of a queen
- noun: a female sovereign ruler
- noun: the wife or widow of a king
- noun: something personified as a woman who is considered the best or most important of her kind
Example: "Paris is the queen of cities"
- noun: female cat
- noun: a competitor who holds a preeminent position
- noun: offensive terms for an openly homosexual man
- verb: promote to a queen, as of a pawn in chess
- verb: become a queen
Example: "Her pawn queened"
- name: A female given name (rare: 1 in 11111 females; popularity rank in the U.S.: #923)
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 14285 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1814)
Search for queen at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...