Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of put:
- noun: the option to sell a given stock (or stock index or commodity future) at a given price before a given date
- verb: cause (someone) to undergo something
Example: "He put her to the torture"
- verb: attribute or give
Example: "She put too much emphasis on her the last statement"
- verb: cause to be in a certain state; cause to be in a certain relation
Example: "That song put me in awful good humor"
- verb: put into a certain place or abstract location
Example: "Put your things here"
- verb: adapt
Example: "Put these words to music"
- verb: make an investment
Example: "Put money into bonds"
- verb: estimate
Example: "We put the time of arrival at 8 P.M."
- verb: arrange thoughts, ideas, temporal events, etc.
Example: "I put these memories with those of bygone times"
- verb: formulate in a particular style or language
Example: "I wouldn't put it that way"
Search for put at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse