Definitions of provide:
- verb: supply means of subsistence; earn a living
Example: "He provides for his large family by working three jobs"
- verb: take measures in preparation for
Example: "Provide for the proper care of the passengers on the cruise ship"
- verb: determine (what is to happen in certain contingencies), especially by including a proviso condition or stipulation
Example: "The will provides that each child should receive half of the money"
- verb: provide what is desired or needed, especially support, food or sustenance
Example: "The hostess provided lunch for all the guests"
- verb: provide or furnish with
Example: "We provided the room with an electrical heater"
- verb: mount or put up
- verb: make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain
Example: "This procedure provides for lots of leeway"
Search for provide at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse