Definitions of protection:
- noun: payment extorted by gangsters on threat of violence
Example: "Every store in the neighborhood had to pay him protection"
- noun: the activity of protecting someone or something
Example: "The witnesses demanded police protection"
- noun: the imposition of duties or quotas on imports in order to protect domestic industry against foreign competition
Example: "He made trade protection a plank in the party platform"
- noun: the condition of being protected
Example: "They were huddled together for protection"
- noun: kindly endorsement and guidance
- noun: defense against financial failure; financial independence
Example: "Insurance provided protection against loss of wages due to illness"
- noun: a covering that is intend to protect from damage or injury
Example: "They had no protection from the fallout"
Search for protection at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse