Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of present:
- noun: a verb tense that expresses actions or states at the time of speaking
- noun: something presented as a gift
Example: "His tie was a present from his wife"
- noun: the period of time that is happening now; any continuous stretch of time including the moment of speech
Example: "That is enough for the present"
- verb: hand over formally
- verb: introduce
- verb: bring forward and present to the mind
Example: "We presented the arguments to him"
- verb: formally present a debutante, a representative of a country, etc.
- verb: give, especially as a reward
- verb: recognize with a gesture prescribed by a miltary regulation; assume a prescribed position
- verb: cause to come to know personally
- verb: deliver (a speech, oration, or idea)
Example: "The commencement speaker presented a forceful speech that impressed the students"
- verb: represent in a painting, drawing, sculpture, or verbally
- verb: perform (a play), especially on a stage
- verb: give as a present; make a gift of
- verb: present somebody with something, usually to accuse or criticize
- verb: show or demonstrate something to an interested audience
- adjective: spatial sense; being or existing in a specified place
Example: "The murderer is present in this room"
Search for present at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Follow us on Twitter if you dare!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse