Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of predicate:
- noun: one of the two main constituents of a sentence; the predicate contains the verb and its complements
- noun: (logic) what is predicated of the subject of a proposition; the second term in a proposition is predicated of the first term by means of the copula
Example: "`Socrates is a man' predicates manhood of Socrates"
- verb: affirm or declare as an attribute or quality of
Example: "The speech predicated the fitness of the candidate to be President"
- verb: make the (grammatical) predicate in a proposition
Example: "The predicate `dog' is predicated of the subject `Fido' in the sentence `Fido is a dog'"
- verb: involve as a necessary condition of consequence; as in logic
Example: "Solving the problem is predicated on understanding it well"
Search for predicate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...