Definitions of precipitate:
- noun: a precipitated solid substance in suspension or after settling or filtering
- verb: fall from clouds
Example: "Vesuvius precipitated its fiery, destructive rage on Herculaneum"
- verb: separate as a fine suspension of solid particles
- verb: hurl or throw violently
Example: "The bridge broke and precipitated the train into the river below"
- verb: bring about abruptly
Example: "The crisis precipitated by Russia's revolution"
- verb: fall vertically, sharply, or headlong
Example: "Our economy precipitated into complete ruin"
- adjective: done with very great haste and without due deliberation
Example: "Wondered whether they had been rather precipitate in deposing the king"
Search for precipitate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Copyright © 2015 Datamuse