Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of post:
- noun: the delivery and collection of letters and packages
Example: "It came by the first post"
- noun: an upright consisting of a piece of timber or metal fixed firmly in an upright position
Example: "He set a row of posts in the ground and strung barbwire between them"
- noun: a pole or stake set up to mark something (as the start or end of a race track)
Example: "A pair of posts marked the goal"
- noun: the position where someone (as a guard or sentry) stands or is assigned to stand
Example: "A soldier manned the entrance post"
- noun: United States manufacturer of breakfast cereals and Postum (1854-1914)
- noun: United States female author who wrote a book and a syndicated newspaper column on etiquette (1872-1960)
- noun: United States aviator who in 1933 made the first solo flight around the world (1899-1935)
- noun: a job in an organization
Example: "He occupied a post in the treasury"
- noun: military installation at which a body of troops is stationed
Example: "This military post provides an important source of income for the town nearby"
- noun: any particular collection of letters or packages that is delivered
Example: "Is there any post for me?"
- noun: the system whereby messages are transmitted via the post office
Example: "In England they call mail `the post'"
- verb: transfer (entries) from one account book to another
- verb: assign to a post; put into a post
Example: "The newspaper posted him in Timbuktu"
- verb: enter on a public list
- verb: publicize with, or as if with, a poster
Example: "I'll post the news on the bulletin board"
- verb: display, as of records in sports games
- verb: mark or expose as infamous
- verb: put up
Example: "Post a sign"
- verb: affix in a public place or for public notice
Example: "Post a warning"
- verb: ride Western style and bob up and down in the saddle in in rhythm with a horse's trotting gait
- verb: cause to be directed or transmitted to another place
- verb: assign to a station
- verb: mark with a stake
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 12500 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1481)
Search for post at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse