Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of population:
- noun: the act of populating (causing to live in a place)
Example: "He deplored the population of colonies with convicted criminals"
- noun: (statistics) the entire aggregation of items from which samples can be drawn
Example: "It is an estimate of the mean of the population"
- noun: a group of organisms of the same species populating a given area
Example: "They hired hunters to keep down the deer population"
- noun: the people who inhabit a territory or state
Example: "The population seemed to be well fed and clothed"
- noun: the number of inhabitants (either the total number or the number of a particular race or class) in a given place (country or city etc.)
Example: "People come and go, but the population of this town has remained approximately constant for the past decade"
Search for population at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...