Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of plant:
- noun: a living organism lacking the power of locomotion
- noun: buildings for carrying on industrial labor
Example: "They built a large plant to manufacture automobiles"
- noun: something planted secretly for discovery by another
Example: "The police used a plant to trick the thieves"
- noun: an actor situated in the audience whose acting is rehearsed but seems spontaneous to the audience
- verb: place into a river
Example: "Plant fish"
- verb: put firmly in the mind
Example: "Plant a thought in the students' minds"
- verb: place something or someone in a certain position in order to secretly observe or deceive
Example: "Plant a spy in Moscow"
- verb: put or set (seeds or seedlings) into the ground
Example: "Let's plant flowers in the garden"
- verb: set up or lay the groundwork for
- verb: fix or set securely or deeply
Example: "He planted a knee in the back of his opponent"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #5729)
Search for plant at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...