Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of plain:
- noun: extensive tract of level open land
Example: "They emerged from the woods onto a vast open plain"
- noun: a basic knitting stitch
- verb: express complaints, discontent, displeasure, or unhappiness
Example: "My mother complains all day"
- adjective: lacking patterns especially in color
- adjective: not elaborate or elaborated; simple
Example: "Plain food"
- adjective: not mixed with extraneous elements
Example: "Plain water"
- adjective: lacking embellishment or ornamentation
Example: "A plain hair style"
- adjective: free from any effort to soften to disguise
Example: "The plain and unvarnished truth"
- adjective: comprehensible to the general public
Example: "Written for the popular press in plain nontechnical language"
- adjective: lacking stylistic embellishment
Example: "Wrote good but plain prose"
- adjective: lacking in physical beauty or proportion
Example: "A plain girl with a freckled face"
- adjective: clearly apparent or obvious to the mind or senses
Example: "Made his meaning plain"
- adverb: unmistakably (`plain' is often used informally for `plainly')
Example: "You are plainly wrong"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #16401)
Search for plain at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse