Definitions of pit:
- noun: a surface excavation for extracting stone or slate
Example: "A British term for `quarry' is `stone pit'"
- noun: a trap in the form of a concealed hole
- noun: a sizeable hole (usually in the ground)
Example: "They dug a pit to bury the body"
- noun: a concavity in a surface (especially an anatomical depression)
- noun: a workplace consisting of a coal mine plus all the buildings and equipment connected with it
- noun: lowered area in front of a stage where an orchestra accompanies the performers
- noun: the hard inner (usually woody) layer of the pericarp of some fruits (as peaches or plums or cherries or olives) that contains the seed
- verb: set into opposition or rivalry
Example: "Pit a chess player against the Russian champion"
- verb: remove the pits from
Example: "Pit plums and cherries"
- verb: mark with a scar
Search for pit at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse