Synonyms / Related
Definitions of ping:
- noun: a sharp high-pitched resonant sound (as of a sonar echo or a bullet striking metal)
- noun: a river in western Thailand; a major tributary of the Chao Phraya
- verb: make a short high-pitched sound
Example: "The bullet pinged when they struck the car"
- verb: send a message from one computer to another to check whether it is reachable and active
Example: "Ping your machine in the office"
- verb: contact, usually in order to remind of something
Example: "I'll ping my accountant--April 15 is nearing"
- verb: hit with a pinging noise
Example: "The bugs pinged the lamp shade"
- verb: sound like a car engine that is firing too early
Example: "The car pinged when I put in low-octane gasoline"
- name: A female given name (rare: 1 in 100000 females; popularity rank in the U.S.: #3777)
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #11168)
Search for ping at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...