Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of pile:
- noun: the yarn (as in a rug or velvet or corduroy) that stands up from the weave
Example: "For uniform color and texture tailors cut velvet with the pile running the same direction"
- noun: a column of wood or steel or concrete that is driven into the ground to provide support for a structure
- noun: a collection of objects laid on top of each other
- noun: a large sum of money (especially as pay or profit)
- noun: (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent
- noun: battery consisting of voltaic cells arranged in series; the earliest electric battery devised by Volta
- noun: fine soft dense hair (as the fine short hair of cattle or deer or the wool of sheep or the undercoat of certain dogs)
- noun: a nuclear reactor that uses controlled nuclear fission to generate energy
- verb: place or lay as if in a pile
Example: "The teacher piled work on the students until the parents protested"
- verb: arrange in stacks
- verb: press tightly together or cram
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #31344)
Search for pile at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse