Definitions of permit:
- noun: large game fish; found in waters of the West Indies
- noun: the act of giving a formal (usually written) authorization
- noun: a legal document giving official permission to do something
- verb: consent to, give permission
Example: "She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband"
- verb: allow the presence of or allow (an activity) without opposing or prohibiting
Example: "Children are not permitted beyond this point"
- verb: make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen
Example: "This permits the water to rush in"
Search for permit at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse