Synonyms / Related
Definitions of pastoral:
- noun: a literary work idealizing the rural life (especially the life of shepherds)
- noun: a letter from a pastor to the congregation
- noun: a musical composition that evokes rural life
- adjective: of or relating to a pastor
Example: "Pastoral work"
- adjective: suggestive of an idyll; charmingly simple and serene
Example: "The pastoral legends of America's Golden Age"
- adjective: relating to shepherds or herdsmen or devoted to raising sheep or cattle
Example: "Pastoral seminomadic people"
- adjective: used of idealized country life
Example: "Charming in its pastoral setting"
Search for pastoral at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...