Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of part:
- noun: something less than the whole of a human artifact
Example: "The rear part of the house"
- noun: a line where the hair is parted
Example: "His part was right in the middle"
- noun: so far as concerns the actor specified
Example: "It requires vigilance on our part or they resisted every effort on his part"
- noun: one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole
Example: "The written part of the exam"
- noun: the melody carried by a particular voice or instrument in polyphonic music
Example: "He tried to sing the tenor part"
- noun: a portion of a natural object
Example: "They analyzed the river into three parts"
- noun: something determined in relation to something that includes it
Example: "He wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"
- noun: any one of a number of individual efforts in a common endeavor
- noun: the extended spatial location of something
Example: "Religions in all parts of the world"
- noun: the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group
Example: "The government must do its part"
- noun: assets belonging to or due to or contributed by an individual person or group
- noun: an actor's portrayal of someone in a play
Example: "She played the part of Desdemona"
- verb: discontinue an association or relation; go different ways
Example: "The business partners broke over a tax question"
- verb: leave
- verb: go one's own away; move apart
Example: "The friends separated after the party"
- verb: come apart
- verb: force, take, or pull apart
Example: "Moses parted the Red Sea"
- adverb: in part; in some degree; not wholly
Example: "I felt partly to blame"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #80061)
Search for part at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse