Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of opening:
- noun: the act of opening something
Example: "The ray of light revealed his cautious opening of the door"
- noun: becoming open or being made open
Example: "The opening of his arms was the sign I was waiting for"
- noun: a vacant or unobstructed space that is man-made
Example: "They left a small opening for the cat at the bottom of the door"
- noun: the initial part of the introduction
Example: "The opening established the basic theme"
- noun: the first performance (as of a theatrical production)
Example: "The opening received good critical reviews"
- noun: a ceremony accompanying the start of some enterprise
- noun: an open or empty space in or between things
Example: "There was a small opening between the trees"
- noun: opportunity especially for employment or promotion
Example: "There is an opening in the sales department"
- noun: an entrance equipped with a hatch; especially a passageway between decks of a ship
- noun: an aperture or hole opening into a bodily cavity
- noun: a possible alternative
- noun: the first of a series of actions
Example: "He memorized all the important chess openings"
- adjective: first or beginning
Example: "The memorable opening bars of Beethoven's Fifth"
Search for opening at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse