Definitions of only:
- adjective: exclusive of anyone or anything else
Example: "I'll have this car and this car only"
- adverb: with nevertheless the final result
Example: "He arrived only to find his wife dead"
- adverb: in the final outcome
Example: "These news will only make you more upset"
- adverb: as recently as
Example: "I spoke to him only an hour ago"
- adverb: except that
Example: "Only this time she came out better"
- adverb: never except when
Example: "Call me only if your cold gets worse"
- adverb: and nothing more
Example: "He was only a child"
- adverb: without any others being included or involved
Example: "A privilege granted only to him"
Search for only at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse