Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of number:
- noun: an item of merchandise offered for sale
Example: "She preferred the black nylon number"
- noun: a clothing measurement
Example: "A number 13 shoe"
- noun: the property possessed by a sum or total or indefinite quantity of units or individuals
Example: "He had a number of chores to do"
- noun: the grammatical category for the forms of nouns and pronouns and verbs that are used depending on the number of entities involved (singular or dual or plural)
Example: "In English the subject and the verb must agree in number"
- noun: a numeral or string of numerals that is used for identification
Example: "She refused to give them her Social Security number"
- noun: a select company of people
Example: "I hope to become one of their number before I die"
- noun: a concept of quantity derived from zero and units
Example: "Every number has a unique position in the sequence"
- noun: one of a series published periodically
- noun: a symbol used to represent a number
- noun: the number is used in calling a particular telephone
Example: "He has an unlisted number"
- noun: a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program
Example: "It was one of the best numbers he ever did"
- verb: place a limit on the number of
- verb: enumerate
Example: "We must number the names of the great mathematicians"
- verb: give numbers to
Example: "You should number the pages of the thesis"
- verb: add up in number or quantity
- verb: put into a group
- verb: determine the number or amount of
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #24362)
Search for number at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse