Definitions of now:
- noun: the momentary present
Example: "Now is a good time to do it"
- adverb: used to preface a command or reproof or request
Example: "Now hear this!"
- adverb: at the present moment
Example: "Goods now on sale"
- adverb: in the historical present; at this point in the narration of a series of past events
Example: "President Kennedy now calls in the National Guard"
- adverb: in the immediate past
Example: "Told me just now"
- adverb: (prefatory or transitional) indicates a change of subject or activity
Example: "Now the next problem is..."
- adverb: in these times
Example: "It is solely by their language that the upper classes nowadays are distinguished- Nancy Mitford"
- adverb: without delay or hesitation; with no time intervening
Example: "Come here now!"
Search for now at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse