Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of near:
- verb: move towards
Example: "They are drawing near"
- adjective: closely resembling the genuine article
Example: "Near beer"
- adjective: not far distant in time or space or degree or circumstances
Example: "Near neighbors"
- adjective: very close in resemblance
Example: "A near likeness"
- adjective: with or in a close or intimate relationship
Example: "My sisters and brothers are near and dear"
- adjective: giving or spending with reluctance
Example: "Very close (or near) with his money"
- adverb: near in time or place or relationship
Example: "As the wedding day drew near"
- adverb: (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; `near' is sometimes used informally for `nearly' and `most' is sometimes used informally for `almost'
Example: "He nearly fainted"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #13203)
Search for near at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...