Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of move:
- noun: the act of deciding to do something
Example: "He didn't make a move to help"
- noun: (game) a player's turn to move a piece or take some other permitted action
- noun: the act of changing your residence or place of business
Example: "They say that three moves equal one fire"
- noun: the act of changing location from one place to another
Example: "The movement of people from the farms to the cities"
- noun: a change of position that does not entail a change of location
Example: "Movement is a sign of life"
- verb: dispose of by selling
Example: "The chairman of the company told the salesmen to move the computers"
- verb: live one's life in a specified environment
Example: "She moves in certain circles only"
- verb: progress by being changed
- verb: propose formally; in a debate or parliamentary meeting
- verb: have a turn; make one's move in a game
- verb: go or proceed from one point to another
Example: "The debate moved from family values to the economy"
- verb: arouse sympathy or compassion in
Example: "Her fate moved us all"
- verb: move so as to change position, perform a nontranslational motion
Example: "He moved his hand slightly to the right"
- verb: cause to move, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense
Example: "Move those boxes into the corner, please"
- verb: change residence, affiliation, or place of employment
Example: "We moved from Idaho to Nebraska"
- verb: perform an action, or work out or perform (an action)
Example: "We must move quickly"
- verb: be in a state of action
- verb: follow a procedure or take a course
- verb: have an emotional or cognitive impact upon
- verb: change location; move, travel, or proceed
Example: "The soldiers moved towards the city in an attempt to take it before night fell"
- verb: give an incentive for action
Example: "This moved me to sacrifice my career"
Search for move at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse