Definitions of modest:
- adjective: not large but sufficient in size or amount
Example: "A modest salary"
- adjective: not offensive to sexual mores in conduct or appearance
- adjective: marked by simplicity; having a humble opinion of yourself
Example: "A modest apartment"
- adjective: free from pomp or affectation
Example: "Comfortable but modest cottages"
- adjective: free from ostentation or pretension
- adjective: limited in size or scope
Example: "A newspaper with a modest circulation"
- adjective: humble in spirit or manner; suggesting retiring mildness or even cowed submissiveness
- adjective: low or inferior in station or quality
Example: "A modest man of the people"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #50365)
Search for modest at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse