Definitions of modern:
- noun: a typeface (based on an 18th century design by Gianbattista Bodoni) distinguished by regular shape and hairline serifs and heavy downstrokes
- noun: a contemporary person
- adjective: belonging to the modern era; since the Middle Ages
Example: "Modern art"
- adjective: characteristic of present-day art and music and literature and architecture
- adjective: used of a living language; being the current stage in its development
Example: "Modern English"
- adjective: relating to a recently developed fashion or style
Example: "Their offices are in a modern skyscraper"
- adjective: ahead of the times
Search for modern at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse