Superhero couplet contest: Win $50 for you and a charity of your choice
Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of mean:
- noun: an average of n numbers computed by adding some function of the numbers and dividing by some function of n
- verb: have a specified degree of importance
Example: "My ex-husband means nothing to me"
- verb: destine or designate for a certain purpose
Example: "These flowers were meant for you"
- verb: denote or connote
Example: "`maison' means `house' in French"
- verb: mean or intend to express or convey
Example: "You never understand what I mean!"
- verb: have in mind as a purpose
Example: "I mean no harm"
- verb: have as a logical consequence
Example: "The water shortage means that we have to stop taking long showers"
- verb: intend to refer to
Example: "Yes, I meant you when I complained about people who gossip!"
- adjective: excellent
Example: "Famous for a mean backhand"
- adjective: used of persons or behavior; characterized by or indicative of lack of generosity
Example: "A mean person"
- adjective: characterized by malice
Example: "In a mean mood"
- adjective: having or showing an ignoble lack of honor or morality
Example: "Taking a mean advantage"
- adjective: marked by poverty befitting a beggar
Example: "A mean hut"
- adjective: used of sums of money; so small in amount as to deserve contempt
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #25319)
Search for mean at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse