Definitions of mate:
- noun: South American tea-like drink made from leaves of a South American holly called mate
- noun: the officer below the master on a commercial ship
- noun: informal term for a friend of the same sex
- noun: the partner of an animal (especially a sexual partner)
Example: "He loved the mare and all her mates"
- noun: South American holly; leaves used in making a drink like tea
- noun: a chess move constituting an inescapable and indefensible attack on the opponent's king
- noun: an exact duplicate
- noun: a fellow member of a team
Example: "It was his first start against his former teammates"
- noun: a person's partner in marriage
- verb: place an opponent's king under an attack from which it cannot escape and thus ending the game
Example: "Kasparov checkmated his opponent after only a few moves"
- verb: bring two objects, ideas, or people together
- verb: make love
Example: "Birds mate in the Spring"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #42942)
Search for mate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse