Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of match:
- noun: lighter consisting of a thin piece of wood or cardboard tipped with combustible chemical; ignites with friction
Example: "He always carries matches to light his pipe"
- noun: an exact duplicate
Example: "When a match is found an entry is made in the notebook"
- noun: a burning piece of wood or cardboard
Example: "If you drop a match in there the whole place will explode"
- noun: something that resembles or harmonizes with
Example: "That tie makes a good match with your jacket"
- noun: a formal contest in which two or more persons or teams compete
- noun: the score needed to win a match
- noun: a person regarded as a good matrimonial prospect
- noun: a pair of people who live together
- noun: a person who is of equal standing with another in a group
- verb: provide funds complementary to
Example: "The company matched the employees' contributions"
- verb: be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics
Example: "The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
- verb: be equal or harmonize
Example: "The two pieces match"
- verb: make correspond or harmonize
Example: "Match my sweater"
- verb: bring two objects, ideas, or people together
Example: "Matchmaker, can you match my daughter with a nice young man?"
- verb: give or join in marriage
- verb: satisfy or fulfill
Example: "This job doesn't match my dreams"
- verb: make equal, uniform, corresponding, or matching
Example: "The company matched the discount policy of its competitors"
- verb: set into opposition or rivalry
Example: "Let them match their best athletes against ours"
- verb: be equal to in quality or ability
Example: "Her persistence and ambition only matches that of her parents"
Search for match at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse