Definitions of man:
- noun: game equipment consisting of an object used in playing certain board games
- noun: one of the British Isles in the Irish Sea
- noun: an adult male person (as opposed to a woman)
- noun: a male person who plays a significant role (husband or lover or boyfriend) in the life of a particular woman
Example: "She takes good care of her man"
- noun: an adult male person who has a manly character (virile and courageous competent)
Example: "The army will make a man of you"
- noun: the generic use of the word to refer to any human being
Example: "It was every man for himself"
- noun: a male subordinate
Example: "He awaited word from his man in Havana"
- noun: any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae
- noun: someone who serves in the armed forces; a member of a military force
- noun: a manservant who acts as a personal attendant to his employer
Example: "Jeeves was Bertie Wooster's man"
- noun: all of the inhabitants of the earth
Example: "She always used `humankind' because `mankind' seemed to slight the women"
- verb: take charge of a certain job; occupy a certain work place
Example: "Mr. Smith manned the reception desk in the morning"
- verb: provide with men
Example: "We cannot man all the desks"
- name: A male given name (rare: 1 in 25000 males; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1176)
- name: A female given name (rare: 1 in 100000 females; popularity rank in the U.S.: #3307)
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #13462)
Search for man at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Privacy, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse