Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of major:
- noun: the principal field of study of a student at a university
Example: "Her major is linguistics"
- noun: a commissioned military officer in the United States Army or Air Force or Marines; below lieutenant colonel and above captain
- noun: a university student who is studying a particular field as the principal subject
Example: "She is a linguistics major"
- noun: British statesman who was prime minister from 1990 until 1997 (born in 1943)
- verb: have as one's principal field of study
Example: "She is majoring in linguistics"
- adjective: greater in number or size or amount
Example: "A major portion (a majority) of the population"
- adjective: greater in scope or effect
Example: "A major contribution"
- adjective: of full legal age
Example: "Major children"
- adjective: of a scale or mode
Example: "Major scales"
- adjective: of the field of academic study in which one concentrates or specializes
Example: "His major field was mathematics"
- adjective: of greater importance or stature or rank
Example: "A major artist"
- adjective: of greater seriousness or danger
Example: "A major earthquake"
- name: A male given name (rare: 1 in 14285 males; popularity rank in the U.S.: #826)
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 11111 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1441)
Search for major at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse