Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of loose:
- verb: make loose or looser
Example: "Loosen the tension on a rope"
- verb: become loose or looser or less tight
Example: "The noose loosened"
- verb: turn loose or free from restraint
Example: "Let loose mines"
- verb: grant freedom to; free from confinement
- adjective: not tight; not closely constrained or constricted or constricting
Example: "Loose clothing"
- adjective: not carefully arranged in a package
Example: "A box of loose nails"
- adjective: not fixed firmly or tightly
Example: "The bolts became loose over time"
- adjective: (of textures) full of small openings or gaps
Example: "A loose weave"
- adjective: not tense or taut
Example: "The old man's skin hung loose and gray"
- adjective: not bound or fastened or gathered together
Example: "Loose pages"
- adjective: not compact or dense in structure or arrangement
Example: "Loose gravel"
- adjective: (of a ball in sport) not in the possession or control of any player
Example: "A loose ball"
- adjective: not restrained or confined or attached
Example: "A pocket full of loose bills"
- adjective: freely producing mucus
Example: "A loose phlegmy cough"
- adjective: not officially recognized or controlled
Example: "A loose organization of the local farmers"
- adjective: lacking a sense of restraint or responsibility
Example: "A loose tongue"
- adjective: not affixed
Example: "The stamp came loose"
- adjective: emptying easily or excessively
Example: "Loose bowels"
- adjective: not literal
Example: "A loose interpretation of what she had been told"
- adjective: casual and unrestrained in sexual behavior
Example: "He was told to avoid loose (or light) women"
- adjective: having escaped, especially from confinement
Example: "Dogs loose on the streets"
- adverb: without restraint
Example: "Cows in India are running loose"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #13467)
Search for loose at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse