Definitions of literal:
- noun: a mistake in printed matter resulting from mechanical failures of some kind
- adjective: limited to the explicit meaning of a word or text
Example: "A literal translation"
- adjective: of the clearest kind; usually used for emphasis
Example: "It's the literal truth"
- adjective: lacking stylistic embellishment
Example: "A literal description"
- adjective: without interpretation or embellishment
Example: "A literal translation of the scene before him"
- adjective: (of a translation) corresponding word for word with the original
Example: "Literal translation of the article"
- adjective: being or reflecting the essential or genuine character of something
Example: "A literal solitude like a desert- G.K.Chesterton"
Search for literal at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse