Definitions of lie:
- noun: a statement that deviates from or perverts the truth
- noun: position or manner in which something is situated
- noun: Norwegian diplomat who was the first Secretary General of the United Nations (1896-1968)
- verb: be located or situated somewhere; occupy a certain position
- verb: have a place in relation to something else
Example: "The fate of Bosnia lies in the hands of the West"
- verb: be and remain in a particular state or condition
Example: "Lie dormant"
- verb: tell an untruth; pretend with intent to deceive
Example: "Don't lie to your parents"
- verb: be lying, be prostrate; be in a horizontal position
- verb: assume a reclining position
Example: "Lie down on the bed until you feel better"
- verb: originate (in)
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #70768)
Search for lie at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse