Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of keep:
- noun: the main tower within the walls of a medieval castle or fortress
- noun: a cell in a jail or prison
- noun: the financial means whereby one lives
Example: "Each child was expected to pay for their keep"
- verb: retain possession of
Example: "Can I keep my old stuffed animals?"
- verb: look after; be the keeper of; have charge of
Example: "He keeps the shop when I am gone"
- verb: maintain for use and service
Example: "I keep a car in the countryside"
- verb: have as a supply
Example: "I always keep batteries in the freezer"
- verb: store or keep customarily
Example: "Where do you keep your gardening tools?"
- verb: supply with room and board
Example: "He is keeping three women in the guest cottage"
- verb: raise
Example: "She keeps a few chickens in the yard"
- verb: keep in a certain state, position, or activity
Example: "E.g., keep clean"
- verb: maintain in safety from injury, harm, or danger
Example: "May God keep you"
- verb: fail to spoil or rot
Example: "These potatoes keep for a long time"
- verb: maintain by writing regular records
Example: "Keep a diary"
- verb: hold and prevent from leaving
- verb: prevent (food) from rotting
Example: "Keep potatoes fresh"
- verb: prevent from doing something or being in a certain state
Example: "Keep the child from eating the marbles"
- verb: conform one's action or practice to
Example: "Keep appointments"
- verb: observe correctly or closely
Example: "Keep count"
- verb: supply with necessities and support
Example: "There's little to earn and many to keep"
- verb: retain rights to
Example: "Keep my job for me while I give birth"
- verb: allow to remain in a place or position
Example: "The family's fortune waned and they could not keep their household staff"
- verb: keep under control; keep in check
Example: "Keep your temper"
- verb: celebrate, as of holidays or rites
Example: "Keep the commandments"
- verb: continue a certain state, condition, or activity
Example: "Keep on working!"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #23716)
Search for keep at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse