Definitions of interest:
- noun: the power of attracting or holding one's interest (because it is unusual or exciting etc.)
Example: "They said nothing of great interest"
- noun: a sense of concern with and curiosity about someone or something
Example: "An interest in music"
- noun: (usually plural) a social group whose members control some field of activity and who have common aims
Example: "The iron interests stepped up production"
- noun: (law) a right or legal share of something; a financial involvement with something
Example: "They have interests all over the world"
- noun: a fixed charge for borrowing money; usually a percentage of the amount borrowed
Example: "How much interest do you pay on your mortgage?"
- noun: a diversion that occupies one's time and thoughts (usually pleasantly)
Example: "He counts reading among his interests"
- noun: a reason for wanting something done
Example: "In the interest of safety"
- verb: excite the curiosity of; engage the interest of
- verb: be on the mind of
- verb: be of importance or consequence
Search for interest at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse