Definitions of initiate:
- noun: people who have been introduced to the mysteries of some field or activity
Example: "It is very familiar to the initiate"
- noun: someone who has been admitted to membership in a scholarly field
- noun: someone new to a field or activity
- verb: accept young people into society, usually with some rite
Example: "African men are initiated when they reach puberty"
- verb: take the lead or initiative in; participate in the development of
- verb: prepare the way for
- verb: bring up a topic for discussion
- verb: bring into being
Example: "He initiated a new program"
Search for initiate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse