Definitions of impression:
- noun: the act of pressing one thing on or into the surface of another
Example: "He watched the impression of the seal on the hot wax"
- noun: an impressionistic portrayal of a person
Example: "He did a funny impression of a politician"
- noun: (dentistry) an imprint of the teeth and gums in wax or plaster
Example: "The dentist took an impression for use in preparing an inlay"
- noun: an outward appearance
Example: "He made a good impression"
- noun: a vague idea in which some confidence is placed
Example: "His impression of her was favorable"
- noun: all the copies of a work printed at one time
- noun: a symbol that is the result of printing
- noun: a concavity in a surface produced by pressing
Example: "He left the impression of his fingers in the soft mud"
- noun: a clear and telling mental image
Example: "The events left a permanent impression in his mind"
Search for impression at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Announcing the 2014-2015 RhymeZone Poetry Prize. Deadline is February 1!
Copyright © 2014 Datamuse