Definitions of hum:
- noun: a humming noise
Example: "The hum of distant traffic"
- noun: an Islamic fundamentalist group in Pakistan that fought the Soviet Union in Afghanistan in the 1980s; now operates as a terrorist organization primarily in Kashmir and seeks Kashmir's accession by Pakistan
- noun: the state of being or appearing to be actively engaged in an activity
Example: "There is a constant hum of military preparation"
- verb: sound with a monotonous hum
- verb: be noisy with activity
- verb: sing with closed lips
Example: "She hummed a melody"
- verb: make a low continuous sound
Example: "The refrigerator is humming"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #56600)
Search for hum at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse