Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of house:
- noun: play in which children take the roles of father or mother or children and pretend to interact like adults
Example: "The children were playing house"
- noun: a dwelling that serves as living quarters for one or more families
Example: "He has a house on Cape Cod"
- noun: a building in which something is sheltered or located
Example: "They had a large carriage house"
- noun: aristocratic family line
Example: "The House of York"
- noun: an official assembly having legislative powers
Example: "The legislature has two houses"
- noun: the audience gathered together in a theatre or cinema
Example: "The house applauded"
- noun: the members of a religious community living together
- noun: the management of a gambling house or casino
Example: "The house gets a percentage of every bet"
- noun: members of a business organization that owns or operates one or more establishments
Example: "He worked for a brokerage house"
- noun: a building where theatrical performances or motion-picture shows can be presented
Example: "The house was full"
- noun: a social unit living together
Example: "It was a good Christian household"
- noun: (astrology) one of 12 equal areas into which the zodiac is divided
- verb: provide housing for
Example: "The immigrants were housed in a new development outside the town"
- verb: contain or cover
Example: "This box houses the gears"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 5882 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #688)
Search for house at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse