Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of host:
- noun: an animal or plant that nourishes and supports a parasite; the host does not benefit and is often harmed by the association
- noun: a technical name for the bread used in the service of Mass or Holy Communion
- noun: archaic terms for army
- noun: any organization that provides resources and facilities for a function or event
Example: "Atlanta was chosen to be host for the Olympic Games"
- noun: the owner or manager of an inn
- noun: a person who invites guests to a social event (such as a party in his or her own home) and who is responsible for them while they are there
- noun: (medicine) recipient of transplanted tissue or organ from a donor
- noun: (computer science) a computer that provides client stations with access to files and printers as shared resources to a computer network
- noun: a vast multitude
- noun: a person who acts as host at formal occasions (makes an introductory speech and introduces other speakers)
- verb: be the host of or for
Example: "We hosted 4 couples last night"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #15475)
Search for host at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse