Definitions of hiss:
- noun: a fricative sound (especially as an expression of disapproval)
Example: "The performers could not be heard over the hissing of the audience"
- noun: a cry or noise made to express displeasure or contempt
- verb: move with a whooshing sound
- verb: make a sharp hissing sound, as if to show disapproval
- verb: express or utter with a hiss
- verb: show displeasure, as after a performance or speech
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #35587)
Search for hiss at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse