Definitions of herd:
- noun: a group of cattle or sheep or other domestic mammals all of the same kind that are herded by humans
- noun: a group of wild animals of one species that remain together: antelope or elephants or seals or whales or zebra
- noun: a crowd especially of ordinary or undistinguished persons or things
Example: "The children resembled a fairy herd"
- verb: keep, move, or drive animals
Example: "Who will be herding the cattle when the cowboy dies?"
- verb: move together, like a herd
- verb: cause to herd, drive, or crowd together
Example: "We herded the children into a spare classroom"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #5583)
Search for herd at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia