Definitions of heighten:
- verb: make more extreme; raise in quantity, degree, or intensity
Example: "Heightened interest"
- verb: become more extreme
Example: "The tension heightened"
- verb: increase the height of
Example: "The athletes kept jumping over the steadily heightened bars"
- verb: increase
Example: "Heighten the tension"
- verb: make (one's senses) more acute
- verb: make more intense, stronger, or more marked
Example: "Potsmokers claim it heightens their awareness"
Search for heighten at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia