Definitions of hedge:
- noun: a fence formed by a row of closely planted shrubs or bushes
- noun: an intentionally noncommittal or ambiguous statement
- noun: any technique designed to reduce or eliminate financial risk; for example, taking two positions that will offset each other if prices change
- verb: minimize loss or risk
Example: "Diversify your financial portfolio to hedge price risks"
- verb: avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues)
- verb: enclose or bound in with or as it with a hedge or hedges
Example: "Hedge the property"
- verb: hinder or restrict with or as if with a hedge
Example: "The animals were hedged in"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #6916)
Search for hedge at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse