Announcing the RhymeZone Poetry Prize. Deadline is February 1!
Read and comment on a recent entry: Window Of Regret
Definitions of hail:
- noun: enthusiastic greeting
- noun: precipitation of ice pellets when there are strong rising air currents
- verb: be a native of
Example: "She hails from Kalamazoo"
- verb: precipitate as small ice particles
Example: "It hailed for an hour"
- verb: greet enthusiastically or joyfully
- verb: call for
Example: "Hail a cab"
- verb: praise vociferously
Example: "The critics hailed the young pianist as a new Rubinstein"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #9827)
Search for hail at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Copyright © 2015 Datamuse